2007 Archive Edition - See the Archive Notice on the Project Homepage for more information.
The monastery of St. Peter at Luxeuil was established c. 590 by St. Columbanus, and in the VII Century, the monks developed a distinctive script and compiled the Lectionary of Luxeuil, which shows the influence of Mozarabic and Bobbian practices. Arabs destroyed the monastery in 732, and Charlemagne restored it, at which time the monks adopted the rule of St. Benedict. Charlemagne's illegitimate son, Drogo, was a monk at Luxeuil. Normans sacked the monastery in 888. It later become an important cultural center, and after the X Century, its abbots were considered princes of the empire. In 1631, the monastery became a part of St. Vanne, and in 1790, it was suppressed.
Karen Rae Keck
including the header and this copyright remain intact.