2007 Archive Edition - See the Archive Notice on the Project Homepage for more information.
In 635, St. Aidan founded a monastery on a small island off the Northumbrian coast to educate missionaries who would preach in Northumbria. Aidan was succeeded by Sts. Finan, Colmán, and Cuthbert. In the VII Century, Eadfrith had the Lindisfarne Gospel copied and decorated in honor of St. Cuthbert. The text is close to that of the Codex Amiatinus. The provost Aelred added interlinear Anglo-Saxon glosses in 970.
After the Synod of Whitby in 664, monks wishing to maintain Irish traditions fled to the Holy Island. Vikings attacked the monastery in 793 and attacked again in 875. The monks fled, and Eardolph, the last bishop of Lindisfarne, moved the see to Chester-le-Street. In the X Century, the see was moved to Durham. Monks returned to Lindisfarne in 1082, and the monastery was dissolved in the XVI Century.
Karen Rae Keck
including the header and this copyright remain intact.